Sunday, September 27, 2009

Live: The Silos @ Bloodshot Records Anniversary BBQ, Bell House 9.26.9

I feel the same about Bloodshot Records as I do about Merge in 2009. They are sort of like the awesome girl you used to date that you managed to stay cool with. I love, love, loved almost everything that came down their pike five or six years ago and their SXSW parties are the stuff of legend. You can't beat free beer and tacos at 11am during a Texas spring. Save for the mighty Bobby Bare Jr. and The Silos, I can't say I've been over the moon about their last couple releases, but there was no way I wasn't going to represent for their 15th.

So now, let me bitch: I can understand how they want to get bodies in the room and make it worthwhile for both Bloodshot and The Bell House, but post a fucking schedule in advance already. I saw two or three variations of the line-up and showed up at seven to find The Silos (band number #2) playing and a five hour run of not-especially-remarkable bands til Bobby Bare Jr. played at midnight. Party foul, and that's not even taking into consideration the midnight double booking I had with OnPoint. It's weird seeing The Silos without Drew in the band, but they were still top fucking notch, with the largest percentage of old material I've heard them do in years. The are definitely The Who of the roots rock scene and that is due in no small part to Konrad Meissner. That man beats the hell out the kit in the best way possible. You would do well to pick up the entire Silos catalog, but to keep it Bloodshot relevant why not start with Come On Like The Fast Lane. Pour out a little liquor for Drew, too, while you're at it.

I bailed to get shithammered at The Creek and the Cave before the OnPoint show, courtesy of Queens finest bartender (and aldenbarton mainman) Dru St. Aubin, but trust that the rest of the show was ok. I had a moment with Exene who is terrifying well-beyond her diminutive stature and trust that Bobby was as great as normal. Look for a review of his new American Bread EP soon. In the meantime, pop on over to Bloodshot and drop some dollars via this handy link.

R

No comments: