Sunday, August 12, 2012

Rick Ross - God Forgives, I Don't


I am a hater by nature (yes, Virginia, mostly because I hate you) so given the ubiquity of Rick Ross in this day and age, dollars to donuts Rick Ross is not going to get Lord Finesse levels of props here at JS-NYC. That continues to be the case, but Rozay has been showing good taste in ghostwriting in recent years that has born fruit for him (see: his verse on that Angels remix with Puff & those two broads). Still haven't wrapped my head around B-Team of top-notch weed carriers he's surrounded himself with, but ultimately it probably means more publishing for our hero, so good on him.

So maybe you heard your boy Rozay has dropped a new record called God Forgives, I Don't. I was actually pretty intrigued, as Ross evidently had his writers working overtime on his recent solid guest verses with Nicki and Kanye. Production is big and the beats are decent. Guest stars are on the level of Dr. Dre, Jay, Usher, and even the increasing phobic Andre 3000. By and large, I'd say it's maybe a 3 on an 10 scale. There are a couple decent tracks in the middle of things, and even a surprisingly good Meek Mill verse, but most of the tracks are like the ponderous 911, where Ross just runs down his Amazon Wish List over and over until things grind to a close. I guess crossover rap fans looking for their next 'edgy' acquisition to their iTunes might  think God Forgives, I Don't is a keeper, but JS-NYC sure don't.

R

No comments: