Friday, December 18, 2009

The Get Up Kids - The Daytrotter Sessions

Ah, The Get Up Kids. When I was a younger man, I was quite the mark for the Kansas Kids, but the one-two punch of their later records being not especially good (to be especially diplomatic) and the crowd(s) on the dates they played with the almighty Superchunk being utter douche bags made it easy to disown them when quality control started going south. Hell, it was obvious that they didn't even like each other very much towards the end and if you have seen the live show bundled with the Something To Write Home About 10th anniversary reissue, you might think that is still the case. You can't go home again and this session kind of asserts that. Frankly, it seems like Pryor is kind of a douche who thinks he is the band. It's something that comes across most strongly on the video, but you get a little bit of the air here. The new song is better than most of their last two records, which is promising. I don't think I'd pay to see/hear it live, and it is far from Woodson, but it's a decent track. The Vitreous Humor cover appears, along with the evergreen crowd please I'm A Loner Dottie, A Rebel and a couple other tracks. If this kind of thing floats your boat, grab it over here from the good folk of Daytrotter. It's decent, but I think I'll wait for the The Jealous Sound and Samiam tours.

R

No comments: