Sunday, July 8, 2012

Live: Agnostic Front and Madball with Murphy's Law at Webster Hall 7.5.12

Post- Color Me Obsessed, I ran up to Webster (aka the old Ritz) and rolled in just as Murphy's Law were wrapping things up. The early part of the day was spent roaming around the city fielding misinformation to get my pass for said CBGB Fest, a pass that I was far from pleased to find was less than relevant, as all the bands I wanted to see (GbV, Superchunk, The Hold Steady) were now free. I like me a hardcore show, and all three of the bands on this bill are solid, but it's not like I hadn't been seeing this bill for literally a couple decades.

Madball came out and leveled the place. Freddy was in good spirits and seemed to be in a good place. Mitts was absent, owing to some road work with H20 and Joe AF filled in as the boys romped through 40 minutes or so of classics that had kids of all ages flying off the stage with wild abandon.  Save for the fact that its been 30 years since Live at CBGB, the set was a nice bit of nostalgia. Stigma sure is old, as was much of the crowd, but sprits seemed to be high all around and the guy who got himself and his wheelchair passed up on stage for some impromptu stage work definitely gets my nod for 'that guy' of the Fest. All in all, a good time and a good show, and most importantly indisputably more CBGB than 90% of the rest of the bands on the Fest.

R

No comments: