Sunday, August 22, 2010

Touch And Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83

I was a little bit too young and sheltered to be exposed to Touch and Go the fanzine when it was an active entity, but the 90s output of the label was a huge part of my nascent music dorkdom. The label has drastically slowed its output in recent years, choosing to focus on their back catalog, but luckily for us, independent presses have been keeping this old stuff alive in the digital age for those who were young to enjoy it the first time. Anthologies of old zine material have been dropping like so many suckers as of late. Norm Brannon (nee Arenas) and his Anti-Matter have made it to bound form, as have Nate Ganglehoff and You Idiot! Both of these eventualities made this old man very happy. I'm still hoping that The Probe and Change Zine are released in anthology form, but I've come to accept the fact that my tastes don't drive the publishing market in this day and age.

Lucky for JS-NYC, thirty years on Tesco Vee and Dave Stimson have been kind enough to release this coffee table sized compendium of all the Touch And Go zine stuff, along with some essays and annotation from the author and old-schoolers like Brannon and MacKaye. Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83 comes out via the JS-NYC wet dream book purveyor Bazillion Points. You can get signed copies and all sorts of other awesomeness via this link. This book is a big 'un, so if you want to save on shipping, I'd try and find a local bookstore that can service you. NYCers can get a copy at Generation Records, but I had a hell of a time finding it anywhere else in town. I'll accept that this is kind of a niche thing, but it's not like we're in the greatest metropolis in the world or anything. No accounting for taste, I guess. Hear me now and believe me later: Do what you need to do and get this. Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83 is a must-have for any fan of punk and/or hardcore.

R

No comments: