Monday, July 19, 2010

Greg Proops - Proops Digs In!

I was pretty sure I hated Greg Proops. I'm not sure whether he was actually the guy from that horrific all-improv comedy show that used to be on Comedy Central, although I'm pretty sure I'm correct in that assumption. I love comedy almost as much as I like music, but while I barely tolerate jamm-y (not Jam-y mind you) rock franchises, I absolutely loathe improv comedy. I guess I may have sold him short, as Digs In! is pretty bad ass. That shitty improv stuff could be argued to show Proops as intelligent, but listening to this, it's obvious he's pretty smart to boot. Think a foppish, less smug David Cross.

Let us point out that Proops well predates Cross in the comedy scene and has maintained quite an international presence in his twenty-some years of comedy. This recording is taken from the release party for his last record Elsewhere, which dropped almost a year ago now and was digitized at Largo in LA, where Proops also hosts a regular night with accompaniment from by Mr. Jon Brion. Proops Digs In shows that Proops is Bill Hicks smart, but he also can get Jim Norton raw. I reference the four minute jag about the penis of Tom Jones that comprises Track 5 of this little number for corroboration of both comparisons. Decide for yourself. The Proops web presence here will both familiarize you with the Proops mystique and allow you to familiarize yourself with his oeuvre.

R

No comments: