Sunday, July 5, 2009

Chinese Telephones - Democracy (2004-2008)

The Chinese Telephones first came on my radar through various rhapsodic reviews in Razorcake. Milwaukee has always been known to bring the rock, and they have always been good to the mighty Figgs, so I made a mental note to check them out. They played fairly early on Saturday at last year's Insubordination Fest and brought it hard enough that they were one of only two records I picked up at the shows. Think the best part of the Figgs and The Arrivals smashed together. Of course, as soon as I got into them seriously, they broke up earlier this year. Democracy compiles all their split and 7" stuff from their all too short career in chronological order. Most, if not all, of the stuff is remastered and it out and out fucking rips. Buy it immediately. Here's a link. If you still need reassurance, peep the tracklisting below.

1. I Think I Can Breathe Now
2. I'm Doing Fine
3. All Bets are Off
4. The Tank is on the Left
5. thosehotmilwaukeenights
6. Let Me Call You Back; My Stories are On
7. This Time Next Year
8. Magic Beans for the Taking
9. I Tried and Failed and Cleaned Up Afterwards, So It's Your Turn Now
10. Basement-Child Super-Rock Fun, Go!
11. Learning Nothing New
12. Better than the Next
13. Prescription Pills and Medical Bills
14. All Rightith

No comments: