Sunday, February 22, 2009

Good Old War - Only Way To Be Alone

It's pretty funny that Good Old War have a book cover as the album art for Only Way To Be Alone, as I had judged this band by their figurative cover and thought that this was going to be some shitty These Arms Are Snakes Tourette's Rock band. I am well pleased to say otherwise and that Good Old War are the closest thing to a folk rock group that I've heard since I was a kid. 

The three-piece are primarily acoustic, favoring spartan arrangements and close harmony as much as possible. I hate close harmony in bands as much as singers that just sing, but Good Old War have won me over by opting to work a little Dolorean pop in the mix with the Simon and Garfunkel.  The sad eventuality that Good Old War are touring with The Gaslight Anthem makes me fear that there is some artifice involved, but I'm going to hope that the band is just taking advantage of opportunities and not the same kind of Pollyanna Americana-crap.

Check it out for yourself. The kids have their own corner of the web here where you can check out a couple MP3s. Should you decide you need yourself a copy of One Way To Be Alone immediately, you can get a copy here.

No comments: