Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Diamond D - The Huge Hefner Chronicles

Fools had been clowning this record on the net to the point where I was kinda dreading checking this out. I'm not sure why I drank the haterade. I hate a lot as it is without other fools buying me rounds. I'm glad to find that I'm not disappointed.

Diamond has been around forever. Like he was Jazzy Jay's crate carrier forever. He's released two bona fide classic hip hop records in Stunts, Blunts and Hip Hop and Hatred, Passions and Infidelity, reps for the Bronx and D.I.T.C and has produced a ton of straight-up bangers over the years for Busta, Fat Joe, KRS-One and a ton more. He even won a Grammy for his stuff on the Fugees The Score record. 

Which only means that he probably can't get arrested outside of NYC because of all you wack-ass trend jockers that can't live without your fucking Lupe Fiasco or Kanye records. Or maybe the current patron saint of overrated rappers: Jay-Z.  Granted, Diamond's last indie record wasn't his best, but even now it's a fair shade better than the new Young Jeezy record. Luckily, Babygrande snapped up our hero for The Huge Hefner Chronicles

It's a solid record. Most hip-hop records are way too fucking long. And while I'm on the subject: let's talk skits. I'm not sure who brought the skit into hip-hop records. Sadly, I bet Prince Paul might be to blame, and if that is the case, he shouldn't have to take the fall for a million self-aggrandizing weed carriers reliving their Scarface Halloweens of their past, but the skit really needs to banned outright. If you want to do a little Paid In Full type intro, so be it, but lose the fucking skits guys. That expunged: This record has no fucking skits and as a result is better than most of the hip-hop you'll hear this year. There are a couple missteps, the R&B tinged Good Tyme being the most egregious, but save for that steamer, The Huge Hefner Chronicles is one of the few hip hop records I've heard this year that I can listen to all the way through. I can admit that the Huge Hefner appellation is a bad idea, but it's not like he's taken on the personae like one of Kool Keith's alter egos or anything. It's odd that, save for the intro that features Fat Joe (not a skit, mind you!) his D.I.T.C affiliates are conspicuous in their absences, but there is a great collabo with Sadat X to keep all you old school heads happy. Trust me, you want this. You can get The Huge Hefner Chronicles from your friends at Babygrande here. There's a pretty bad-ass playlist of some of his best tracks from the past there too. Socially network with him afterward here if you are of a mind.

R

1 comment:

dako243 said...

HAH! I'm with you on the skits, enough already. I do think Prince Paul may be to blame---with the success of De La, if not Stet. He and Automator may be responsible for the last good ones, too. I mean really, how many worthwhile skits have there been in the last five years? In the last 10?