Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Go Sell Drugs - American Handjob

I saw Go Sell Drugs play unannounced at Death By Audio a couple weeks ago. I liked them a bunch, even more so when they tore up a half-filled room and gave away copies of American Handjob afterward. It was a bit before I threw it on, but after tossing it down the old earhole I was as impressed with how good as it was as I was the price. You don't see that kind of generosity from good bands anymore and I have way too many digital coaster cluttering up the joint. American Handjob will definitely stay in rotation. I'm not sure whether GSD is a full-time band or a project thing, as the band has members of I-Farm and Basement Black in their ranks, but I hope they stick around. There are short haircuts all around, owing more to DC positivity more than right-wing politics (last time I checked) and they bring the noise like it was an early 90s basement show. This I like.

There are 15 songs on American Handjob, to a one they are smart-assed in title and all-business in practice. The three minute barrier gets broken a couple of times, but by and large Go Sell Drugs romp their way through a song with the quickness, take a breath and then get on with the next one. American Handjob is pretty Minor Threat, but gets a little Bivouac at times to keep things interesting. They are also members of the Dead Broke Rekerds set. Not the first band I'd think to be on DBR, but it's a happy coincidence that only serves to show how strong the Long Island collective's roster has become. They are rapidly becoming a Northeast Plan-It-X. I, for one, hope that they are able to keep their good works going. Between them and If You Make It, it's almost fun to see local bands again.

You can keep tabs on Go Sell Drugs, or GSD to The Man , here. The Dead Broke Rekerds kids live in this corner of the interweb. Check out some of the DBR stuff at If You Make It here and then buy all their other stuff. Maybe then they'll get Tiltwheel out here.

Go Sell Drugs are at The Charleston tomorrow.

Up the punks!

R

No comments: